Thanksgiving is a time for enjoying the company of family and friends, and, let’s face it, eating.
It is reported that the average American Thanksgiving dinner, between the side dishes, delicious desserts and, of course, the turkey, has over 4000 calories in it!
I know a lot of websites urge moderation and restriction on Thanksgiving but that’s often hard to do when faced with a buffet of decisions. But you shouldn’t let worrying about calories prevent you from enjoying your time with friends and family.
That being said, here are some easy ways to best enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner.
1. Don’t go to dinner starving. You are more likely to make poor decisions and overeat when you are ravenous. Eat a healthy lunch with a whole grain, vegetable and protein.
2. Before you start filling your plate up, look around and see what all your options are. This will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed and your plate from getting too full!
3. Get moving! Try to get in a workout the day of Thanksgiving. If this is unrealistic, go for a brisk walk after dinner. This will keep you from feeling sluggish for the rest of they day.
4. Drink plenty of water. Overeating and salty foods require lots of water! Aim for several large glasses….of water.
5. Don’t deprive yourself. If your favorite part of Thanksgiving is a piece of pecan pie, enjoy it and don’t feel guilty.
6. And most importantly, remember to give thanks for everything God has blessed you with.
What are you thankful for? How do you try to stay healthy on Thanksgiving?